Marine Coatings Chemist
WELCOME TO SHERWIN-WILLIAMS
Here, we believe there’s not one path to success, we believe in careers that grow with you. Whoever you are or wherever you come from in the world, there’s a place for you at Sherwin Williams. We provide you with the opportunity to explore your curiosity and drive us forward. We’ll give you the space to share your strengths and we want you to show us what you can do. You can innovate, grow and discover in a place where you can thrive and Let Your Colors Show! Sherwin-Williams values the unique talents and abilities from all backgrounds and characteristics. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, including individuals with disabilities and Protected Veterans.
This Protective & Marine R&D Chemist II will be responsible for completion of Development and Commercialization activities for the United States and Canada. The R&D Chemist II is accountable for providing timely and accurate solutions to multiple company problems of moderate to difficult complexity. Primary responsibilities include leading projects in the areas of development, service requests, quality support for current product lines, continuous improvement initiatives, technology transfers, RM support, and other control chemist activities. Additional responsibilities include collaborating with P&M technical team to support development and commercialization of new technologies.
• Designs and executes experiments, draws conclusions, and makes recommendations
• Maintaining accurate and detailed documentation of lab work and providing written updates and presentation of technical materials.
• Communicates with other departments/functions and has a wide network of resources and knows who their resources are.
• Function under limited supervision and be able to independently design experiments and write reports with limited review.
• Accountable for contributing solutions to moderately complex projects.
• Communicate detailed ideas concisely through written communication by writing technical reports.
• Comply with and displays knowledge of all safety and security regulations and maintain a clean work area
• Travel for technical conferences and product commercialization support. Provide outside customer service.
• Train or mentor new or lower level chemists and technicians.
• Adhere to company safety standards at all times.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Adheres to quality standards in accordance with the Global Business Management System.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the country for which you are applying for employment (without now or in the future needing sponsorship for employment work visa and/or permanent residence status).
• Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math field.
• Must be able, with or without reasonable accommodation, to determine the difference between colors so you can correctly tint paint to the colors desired by customers.
• 3 years of experience with solvent-borne and water-borne epoxy and urethane chemistries..
• Good organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written
• Good project management skills
• Familiarity with application and troubleshooting of industrial coatings.
• Practical understanding of spectral measurement data
• Computer knowledge for basic inputting, communication, and data analysis
• Math knowledge
• Analytical chemistry and the ability to extend it beyond the realm of coatings
• Proven problem-solving and decision-making ability.
• Ability to adapt and change quickly in response to new situations/demands.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• Design of Experiment
• Master’s Degree or higher in a Science-related area
• 3+ years of coatings specific industry experience
• Proficient in statistics and data analysis.
• Creative thinking
Travel Requirements: 10%
Who we are
At Sherwin-Williams, we're proud of the company we keep — our family of loyal employees. To learn about our company and our culture go to Sherwin.com/careers.
Sherwin-Williams is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, marital status or any other consideration prohibited by law or by contract.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Sherwin-Williams requests state and local employment services delivery systems to provide priority referral of Protected Veterans.